|Date Posted||July 29, 2021|
Temporary - Registered Nurse (for COVID Response)
Job Requisition Number
Austin Public Health
Education and/or Equivalent Experience
- Graduation from an accredited school of nursing.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- License or permit to practice nursing in the State of Texas.
- Must have current healthcare provider Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) course completion card and will be required to maintain a current certification during employment.
Notes to Applicants
The position will primarily provide vaccinations to those needing the COVID-19 vaccine injections.
These positions will support COVID-19 emergency response specifically supporting dissemination of COVID-19 vaccine.
When completing the City of Austin employment application:
- A detailed, complete COA employment application is required. It helps us to better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position.
- Please be sure to detail on the application all previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- A résumé is required, but will not substitute for a complete COA employment application.
- When completing the City of Austin employment application, Work experience listed must include month, year and a verifiable Supervisor or Human Resources phone number. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
If you are selected to interview:
Candidates may be required to complete a skills assessment
Military/Veterans must provide a copy of their DD214 at the time of initial interview to receive military/veteran interview preference.
This position will require a pre-employment Criminal Background Investigation (CBI).
Electronic Notification to Applications:
Applicants will be notified via e-mail to communicate important information related to the status of their application as part of an ongoing effort to increase operational efficiency, promote a green environment and minimize delays and costs.
Please ensure that the email address and contact information you provide is current, secure and readily accessible to you. We will not be responsible in any way if you do not receive our e-mails or fail to check your inbox in a timely manner.
If you are identified as a top candidate, verification of your education, which may include High School graduation or GED, undergraduate and/or graduate degrees, will be required.
All Austin Public Health worksite locations are tobacco-free. Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any APH worksite – including parking lots, garages or in any personal vehicle located on the premises.
Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. Please note that the Department may close the job posting at any time after 7 days.
Days and hours will vary.
Will require work outside of normal business hours to include some evenings and weekends.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting
Austin Public Health
Temporary (No benefits)
Grant Funded or Pooled Position
- Experience administering vaccines to people of all ages
- Public Health experience
- Bilingual English/Spanish
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Interview patients and review records to ascertain medical history, current physical condition, symptoms of illness, etc
- Obtain routine information such as height, weight, temperature, pulse, and blood pressure and provide basic physical assessment.
- Assess physical condition of patient using observation, inspection, auscultation, palpation, and percussion.
- Assess the physical, social, and emotional needs of patients and families in clinics or in their homes.
- Develop a health care plan in cooperation with the patient/family, significant others, and members of the health care team.
- Formulate, direct and/or execute plan of care and any needed interventions.
- Provide nursing care, which may include immunizations, phlebotomy, collecting urine, hemotocrit tests, routine tests, specialized tests, vital signs, pregnancy tests, dipstick urinalysis, and prepare other specimens.
- Counsel client and family concerning health assessment and care.
- Teach and counsel patients, families, and groups on the prevention of disease, disability, hygiene, and health maintenance.
- Refer patients and families to other services or for follow-up treatment based on assessment of health care needs.
- Maintain complete and accurate records, logs, and statistics of patient status and care provided.
- Monitor work to ensure quality assurance or other standards are met.
- Prioritize the workload and referrals made to other co-workers/services.
- Assist in the development of protocol, policies, and procedures.
- May identify patients/groups with potential high risk of physical and emotional illness through analysis of statistical records.
- May conduct investigations and provide instructions in preventive measure of communicable diseases, immunization programs and casework.
- May coordinate daily clerical activities including setting patient appointments and scheduling providers.
- May maintain patient follow-up procedures, including broken appointment and abnormal lab follow-up procedures, immunization tickler/tracking system, abnormal laboratory results, and maintains patient tickler file.
Responsibilities – Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of public health nursing.
- Knowledge of information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat injuries and diseases.
- Knowledge of related cultural, social, environmental and economic forces in family and group relationships.
- Knowledge of medicines and their application for treatments.
- Knowledge of holistic health care treatments.
- Knowledge of instruments and equipment used in providing routine and specialized patient care.
- Knowledge of current community resources available.
- Skill in providing nursing care, customer service, and personal services
- Skill in setting priorities and making judgments concerning health care.
- Skill in teaching and interviewing techniques.
- Skill in effectively instructing and directing the work of others.
- Skill in recording and reporting accurate information.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with patients, families, community groups and organizations, physicians, City employees, and the general public.
- Ability to communicate information and ideas.
- Ability to read and understand information and ideas presented.
- Ability to perceive pertinent details.
- Ability to record and report accurate information
- Ability to interpret symptoms and assess the patient’s status
Criminal Background Investigation
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
The minimum requirements for the Registered Nurse position are: Graduation from an accredited school of nursing. License or permit to practice nursing in the State of Texas. Must have current healthcare provider Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) course completion card and will be required to maintain a current certification during employment. Do you meet these minimum requirements?
Please describe your nursing experience.
(Open Ended Question)
If identified as a top candidate, do you agree to a criminal background check (CBI)?
Due to working in high risk areas, applicants applying for this position must comply with the departments
immunization policy as a condition of employment. Can you meet this requirement?
- Yes, I will comply to the vaccinations required by the APH department
- No, I cannot meet this requirement
In the prior twelve months have you been employed by, owned any interest in, or been an officer or board member, for any business entity, including a non-profit organization, that is transacting any business with the City of Austin, including a recipient of any contracts, grants, or any funds of any kind from the City of Austin?
- Don't know
If you answered yes to the question above, please describe your experience.
(Open Ended Question)
Are you bilingual with the ability to fluently speak and write in both English and Spanish?
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter