|Published||August 5, 2022|
About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope’s translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope’s specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation’s “Best Hospitals” in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.
City of Hope’s commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.
Administers, develops, and supports proper facility operations and compliance of all fire and life safety systems across the enterprise of City of Hope. At the direction of the Administrator, Facilities Compliance, the Senior Fire System Specialist, ensures standards are put in place and met for the design, construction, repair and maintenance of all fire and life safety systems. Role supports inspections, testing and maintenance of the fire systems to provide a safe environment to the City of Hope community and our patients and visitors. This role responsible to ensure all Fire and Life Safety Codes and building management standards are in place and met at all times. This individual will serve as the Fire Marshall for the organization and support effective emergency response related to fire or other emergency conditions. As part of the larger Facilities Compliance program, this role will serve as part of the Environment of Care team and help ensure constant survey readiness of all buildings and assist with the overall program where needed.
Key Responsibilities include:
Fire Safety and Systems
- Coordinates inspections, testing, certification and maintenance of fire equipment and systems
- Oversees the design and implementation of all new or replacement systems including creation of standards for all fire and suppression systems.
- Acts as the Fire Marshall for the City of Hope and establishes relationships with local fire jurisdictions to act as the liaison and point of contact for all proactive or emergency conditions that may arise.
- Works closely with Facilities Engineering for technical support and interface of fire systems to ensure proper coordination of systems
- Identifies potential fire safety hazards, prepares reports on conditions and takes actions to mitigate identified deficiencies
- Coordinates with ITS (IT), Occupational Health and Safety, Facilities Design and Construction, Corporate
- Ensures all systems meet applicable codes and standards of the federal, state and local agencies including CMS, TJC, LA Fire County (including Title 19, 22 & 24)
Emergency Response & Training
- Validates all emergency procedures related to fire & life safety are effective for all buildings and ensures the proper notification, path of travel and triage in emergency situations
- Implements, communicates and monitors Interim Life Safety Measures (ILSM) where needed for the safety of building occupants
- Investigates and analyzes fire alarm troubles and activations and supervises the corrective actions
- Develops and maintains fire system policies and procedures
- Develops and delivers fire safety training
- Participates and assists with fire drills, emergency evacuation drills and other emergency response initiatives as needed
- Performs Tracer or other Rounding generating reports and ensuring education of staff
- Supports the overall Facilities Compliance Program including assisting with documentation of all required Federal, State and Local requirements or mandates including AQMD, Water Quality programs, etc. working toward a ‘best in class’ program
- Designs, develops, and coordinates format and organization of documentation and presentation materials for review by JCAHO, DHS, CAPS, NIH, AALAC and other agencies.
- Assists with other Facilities Systems management where needed
- Prepares Environment of Care reports as needed and serves as a member of the Environment of Care team.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.