|Date Posted||August 3, 2021|
Job Requisition Number
Building Services - Security
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent, plus one (1) year experience providing security services.
Licenses or Certifications:
Notes to Applicants
The City of Austin employment application is an official document; incomplete applications will not be considered.
A detailed, complete employment application is required to helps us to better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine starting salary if you are selected for this position.
The employment record should be complete be complete with job titles, specific job duties, functions and responsibilities and dates of employment dates for each position. Please include any related computer software or applications used.
Availability expectations are that the top candidate be available on nights, weekends and holidays for scheduled shifts to include overtime and call-back work.
Please be sure that your application is a reflection of your entire work history.
Resumes will not be accepted and statements such as “see resume” will not be accepted. You may use “N/A” for fields that are not applicable. Starting salary will be based on overall relevant experience from your employment application.
The responses to the supplemental questions should reference the employment history indicated in the employment history section. Once the requisition has closed, the application cannot be changed to update work history, supplemental questions, or any other information.
A detailed, complete City of Austin employment application is required to help us better evaluate your qualifications. For each position, please describe your specific experience as it relates to the minimum and preferred qualifications. Please be thorough in completing the employment application and list all experience that is relevant to this position. If you are selected as the top candidate, starting salary will be based on overall relevant experience.
Must be able to perform the physical essential functions with or without reasonable accommodations:
- Utilize eyes for long periods of time while operating computer, & other office/security equipment.
- Reasonable dexterity of hands and fingers to operate and/or manipulate computer, keyboard, and other office/security screening equipment.
- Ability to verbally and effectively communicate utilizing face-to-face contact and telephones.
- Walk moderate to continuous patrol distances.
- Sit for long periods of time to perform various security screening tasks.
- Lift and/or carry packages/boxes weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Reach and bend arms to perform duties such as screening.
- Reach and stretch arms above shoulders.
- Bend upper body to pick-up items or to reach down.
- Twist neck/head side to side, up and down.
- Possess the physical and mental capacity to safely operate motor vehicle during daytime and/or night time when necessary.
If you are selected as a top candidate:
Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED, undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) will be required.
You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution.
Military / Veteran Interview Preference:
Military/Veterans must provide a copy of their DD214 verifying honorable discharge, at the time of initial interview to receive military/veteran interview preference.
If you are selected for this position, and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
Criminal Background Check:
This position requires a pre-employment Criminal Background Investigation (CBI).
Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Classification:
This position is classified as NON- EXEMPT.
This position may be required to work evenings, weekends, holidays, and in excess of a 40-hour work week as dictated by business and security needs.
This position is an essential position. This means that the Top Candidate who, by virtue of their presence, specialized function or necessary skills, are essential to meeting the business or certain operational needs and are therefore required to report to duty. The Security Guard position with the Building Services Department is considered an essential employee during the COVID-19 pandemic event and as such is required to continue to report to their normal work location and perform the essentials functions of their position during the COVID-19 pandemic event.
Please note that the Department may close the job posting at any time after 7 days.
$15.30 – $17.02 per hour
- Work hours may include after-hours, holidays, and weekend work.
- The shift may change according to departmental business needs.
- Overtime may be required with or without notice.
- The position may require on-call or call-back responsibilities.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting
Grant Funded or Pooled Position
Various City-owned facilities
- Training and experience with security X-ray and metal detection equipment
- Experience monitoring CCTV (Closed Circuit Television) and surveillance cameras
- Experience with security access control
- Experience with the monitor and response to various security and fire alarm systems in a commercial building setting
- Demonstrated experience in the creation, input, and maintenance of employee and/or visitor identification and badging credentials using a database(s)
- Ability to travel to more than one work location
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Picks up stolen property and handle loss and found items
- Operates, repairs, and maintains equipment/reports maintenance problems
- Provides delivery/courier services
- Conducts safety inspection of facilities, i.e., fire extinguishers, life/safety equipment, etc.
- Performs situation assessments and investigate work incidents
- Identifies, assists, and gives clearance to entering patrons
- Provides security and assistance to the public and various law enforcement agencies
- Issues parking citations
- Administers first aid
- Provides training
- Identifies suspects and/or research computer database to identify fingerprints
- Responds to fire alarms, security alarms, and accidents – contact appropriate emergency personnel
- Directs traffic and provide crowd control services
- Maintains logs and incident reports
- Monitors and operates electronic doors, gates, security systems, etc.
- Acts as alternate guard when necessary
- Manages crises security by soliciting vendors during emergency situations, i.e., plumbers, electricians, elevator repairman, etc.
- Coordinates building repairs and assist with minor car repairs
- Processes and traces evidence
- Testifies in court
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of Federal, State, Local laws, and ordinances.
- Knowledge of city practice, policy, and procedure.
- Knowledge of supervisory, managerial techniques, and principles.
- Skill in oral and written communications.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Skill in using computers and related software applications.
- Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
- Ability to train others.
- Ability to quickly recognize and analyze irregular events.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective communication and working relationships with city employees and the public.
Criminal Background Investigation
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual’s AIDS, AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
This position requires Graduation from High School or equivalent, plus 1 year experience providing security services. Do you meet these minimum qualifications?
Please describe how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position.(Open Ended Question)
If selected as a top candidate, do you agree to a criminal background investigation?
How many years of security services experience to you have?
- 1 - 2 years
- 3 - 4 years
- 4 - 5 years
- More than 5 years
Describe your training and experience with security x-ray and metal detection equipment.(Open Ended Question)
Describe your experience working with and monitoring CCTV (Closed Circuit Television) and surveillance cameras.(Open Ended Question)
Please describe your experience with security access control. If no experience, please write N/A.(Open Ended Question)
Briefly describe your experience monitoring security and fire alarm systems.(Open Ended Question)
Please describe your experience in the creation, input and maintenance of employee and/or visitor identification and badging credentials. If no experience, please list N/A.(Open Ended Question)
Do you have the ability to travel to multiple sites as part of the regular job duties?
This position requires employees to varied shifts of days, nights, weekends and holidays. Are you able to work varied shifts including days, nights, weekends and holidays?
This position will require you to be 'on call' outside of the scheduled work day, and you may need to respond to 'call back' assignments. Are you willing and able to fulfill an 'on call' assignment in addition to the regular 40 hour work week?
This position is considered essential. An essential employee is an employee who, by virtue of their presence, specialized function or necessary skills, are essential to meeting the business or certain operational needs and are therefore required to report to duty. This position with the Building Services Department is considered an essential employee during the COVID-19 pandemic event and as such is required to continue to report to their normal work location and perform the essentials functions of their position during the COVID-19 pandemic event. Do you have the availability to report to duty during the COVID-19 pandemic event?
Optional & Required Documents