|Date Posted||March 18, 2021|
Equal Opportunity Employer : Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
Position Location :
- Ideal candidate will reside anywhere in the Central Tx area.
- Relocation may be given for the right candidate
Position Overview / Job Summary
Under the broad direction of the Sr. Environmental Manager, you will supervise, administer and implement Environmental Protection (EP) programs for the municipal solid waste business units in Central Texas (Victoria, Pharr, San Antonio, Austin, Waco).
This will include but not limited to :
- Serves as the Environmental Protection contact and assists field operations personnel and management with technical guidance on environmental topics and regulatory interaction
- Monitor and investigate compliance status providing training and specific recommendations to sites, District Management and Operations personnel.
- Lead EH&S specialist in the assigned Market Area.
- Expertise and knowledge of regulatory requirements as it applies to environmental protection and compliance.
Ideal Candidate will have :
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Science (Biology or Chemistry,etc. )
- Five to Seven (5-7) years of relevant Environmental Protection work experience.
- Waste Industry Experience (Preferred) Experience with environmental regulations as it pertains to Air, Water and Waste, Spill Control
- Experience with Managing Environmental Compliance programs
- Ability to develop, implement, and monitor environmental strategies, policies, and programs that promote sustainable development
- Well versed in within all aspects of the environmental aspects of a municipal solid waste facility ( air regulations, stormwater regulations, MSW regulations)
- Spends 40% time in an office environment and 60% local travel to plants and field locations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential duties satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned and may vary by location.
- Communicates and implements the Corporate & Area EP program policies and strategies within assigned Market Area(s). Serves as Market Area EP contact regarding incident notifications, environmental issues, and permit applications over the broad media water, air and waste regulatory frameworks.
- Identifies local, state and federal regulatory impacts to operations. Provides compliance enforcement support to operating facilities by investigating and assessing the regulatory findings and analysis and prepares related documents. Coordinates with site/MA staff on action plan resolution and regulatory agency negotiations.
- Plans, organizes and secures related environmental permits and other regulatory approvals. Prepares related documentation.
- Responsible for developing, coordinating, recording and overseeing field EP testing, investigations, assessments and guidance.
- Additionally responsible for related activities involving management of petroleum products, leachate, landfill gas, sanitary and industrial wastewaters, stormwater and groundwater related to the collection, transportation and/or disposal of wastes.
- Provides budget guidance regarding addressing EP Market Area or site projects.
- Provides technical and project direction to outside consultants, site and Market Area staff on EP program implementation, improvement and maintenance and in the resolution of any current or potential environmental issues.
- Prepares and delivers EP training and education to facility and Market Area staff.
- Maintain EP data tracking system databases (Cycle, Dakota Tracer) and provides company related reporting.
Some Supervisory responsibility may be required of EP Managers I and EP Specialists. When required to manage or supervise, duties may include providing recommendations on such matters as evaluating employee performance, promotions, salary increases, training, coaching & counseling, assigning work activities, discharging and hiring employees, granting time off, disciplinary action and handling employee grievances.
Final decisions related to employee management are at the discretion of the Sr. Environmental Protection Manager
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
Education and Experience
- Education : Bachelor's Degree (accredited) or in lieu of degree High School Diploma or GED (accredited) and Four (4) years of relevant work experience
- Experience : Seven (7) years of relevant work experience in environmental protection (in addition to education requirement).
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- Requires knowledge of regulatory environment as it applies to environmental protection and compliance.
Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- MS Office familiarity, general computer acumen and ability to learn to utilize other job-related technical software.
- Familiarity with statistical methods.
- Research skills.
- A working knowledge of the company's operations and business hierarchy.
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Normal setting for this job is : office setting and/or landfill/outdoor.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.”