|Location||San Juan Capistrano, CA|
|Date Posted||May 26, 2021|
Director, Facilities & Construction – Esoteric
Recognized by FORTUNE magazine as one of the “World’s Most Admired Companies,” Quest Diagnostics (www.QuestDiagnostics.com) is the world's leading provider of diagnostic testing, information and services that doctors and patients need to make better healthcare decisions. We are pioneers in developing innovative diagnostic tests and advanced healthcare information technology solutions that help improve patient care.
With corporate headquarters in Secaucus, NJ, Quest Diagnostics is a Fortune 500 company traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: DGX) and included in the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index, with 2020 revenues of $9.44 billion.
The Director will lead construction/space planning projects and routine day to day facilities maintenance projects across the Esoteric enterprise while utilizing Quest Management System (QMS) principles and tools. This position acts as a change agent and role model while liaising with key stakeholders to ensure facility upkeep and lead construction projects. This position will also be responsible for coaching others to learn and apply space planning QMS principles and tools to their daily work. The Director will also oversee the day to day Base Building activities occurring at each Esoteric facility.
The Quest Management System (QMS) is Quest Diagnostics’ approach to using a set of proven tools and methodologies to drive successful execution of, and results from, key initiatives and day-to-day work. It is the structured way we manage, lead, and solve problems. It is built on 7 practices:
1. Management approach & governance
2. Breakthrough management and Hoshin planning
3. Customer insights and solutions development
4. Process management
5. Continuous improvement
6. Project management
7. Change management
• Manages a construction portfolio of projects that optimize space planning efforts across all Esoteric facilities inclusive of maintaining project budgets, schedules, procurement, and quality & risk items
• Demonstrates capability to read, understand and apply standard to moderately complex documents affecting real estate projects, including but not limited to: agreements/contracts, leases, work letters, project charters, surveys and drawings.
• Conduct periodic site visits to monitor the progress of construction, review status of work completed during the period covered, review that work is generally proceeding in a good and workmanlike manner and in general accordance with the approved drawings and specifications.
• Coaches other employees on the use of various tools, concepts and practices foundational to space planning in order for Quest Diagnostics employees to build proficiency
• Leads his/her own construction projects and working with teams to effectively initiate, plan, execute, monitor, and close projects
• Provides general oversight to base building processes including but not limited to all third-party sourced activities or self-performed (Facilities, Janitorial, Security, Cafeteria)
• Collaborates with Quest project stakeholders as well as third party vendors (legal, architects, general contractors, third party project managers).
• Participates in construction contract (and subsequent change orders as applicable) reviews with key parties
• Partners with Quest Corporate Real Estate to oversee lease renewals/terminations
• Leads projects through issues, roadblocks, and problems
• Acts as a change agent to drive teams toward success
• Guides team members to perform through issues and constraints
• Owns the timeline, budget, resource constraints, and deliverables / results
• Shifts between the "big picture" and the small-but-crucial details
• Is prepared to roll up their sleeves and work through detailed issues
• Ensures all appropriate tools are completed and used effectively (e.g., charter, gantt chart, status updates)
• Communicates to all layers of the organization
• Prepare executive reports detailing project status (budget, scheduled, risks, etc.)
• Actively communicates with project sponsors and stakeholders
• Establishes regular points of communication
• Manages sponsor and stakeholders expectations
• Delivers the expected results
• Performs root cause analysis on project shortfalls and takes corrective action as necessary
• Applies continuous improvement tools and techniques, as well as other QMS principles and tools, toward a variety of large or complex problems. Actively identifies root causes of issues and designs solutions that address them
• Leads efforts to implement Process Control and Management (process definition, documentation, ownership, metrics, and monitoring systems)
• Works with local team members to identify and prioritize construction opportunities
• Works with functional and site leaders as a “thought leader” to create future state space planning roadmaps with clear executable plans that are in line with the business strategies improvement needs
• Demonstrated experience leading large and complex construction/facilities projects from initiation to completion (10+ years)
• Demonstrated experience using structured problem-solving skills: uses a systematic, disciplined and data-driven approach that identifies the root causes of various issues and designs solutions to resolve them
• Demonstrated understanding of continuous improvement, process management, or system thinking
• An engineering background along with construction project management experience is required
• Familiar with building construction and engineering principles related to civil, mechanical, electrical, structural projects
• Demonstrated experience in core continuous improvement tools and advanced tools
• Proven track record in facilitating discussions or workshops
• Experience supervising others
• Demonstrated ability to develop strong relationships with others
• Demonstrated experience leading changes
• Demonstrated ability to influence business leaders
• Advanced data analysis skills
• Demonstrates financial acumen overseeing project budgets and payment applications
• Skilled in statistical analysis
• Demonstrated experience with process management
• Basic knowledge of VOC tools & some DFSS tools
• General knowledge of Hoshin and breakthrough planning
• Effective written and verbal communication skills across multiple formats: formal presentations, meetings, conference calls, e-mails, and memos
• Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
• Advanced in Microsoft Excel
• Skilled in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint
• Comfortable with Microsoft Project
• Participation in Communities of Practice
• Documentation of business processes
• Completion of required continued learning
• Creative, Persistent and Composed
• Able to learn new concepts rapidly
• Up to 50% travel expected (expectations shown are targeted ranges; actual travel required will vary by project and can exceed or go below targeted amounts)
• Some evening work hours may be required, depending on project needs
• Bachelor’s degree required
• PMP (US and/or Canada) and LEED AP preferred.
• Formal training in project management or continuous improvement methodologies (e.g., Six Sigma, Total Quality Management, Lean, Theory of Constraints) desired
• QMS Project Management Certification (internally administered)
• QMS Continuous Improvement Certification (internally administered)
About Quest Diagnostics
Quest Diagnostics empowers people to take action to improve health outcomes. Derived from the world's largest database of clinical lab results, our diagnostic insights reveal new avenues to identify and treat disease, inspire healthy behaviors and improve health care management. Quest Diagnostics annually serves one in three adult Americans and half the physicians and hospitals in the United States, and our nearly 50,000 employees understand that, in the right hands and with the right context, our diagnostic insights can inspire actions that transform lives.
The company offers the broadest access to diagnostic testing services through its network of laboratories and patient service centers and provides interpretive consultation through its extensive medical and scientific staff. Quest Diagnostics also provides services to employers, life insurance companies, other commercial labs, clinics, health plans, government agencies, and organizations involved in clinical trials research.
• FORTUNE magazine's "World's Most Admired Companies" list for 7 consecutive years; one of only five companies to attain Most Admired status in the "Health Care, Pharmacy and Other Services" industry category.
• Fortune magazine’s Fortune 500 list
• Forbes Global 2000
• Forbes' America's Best Employers List for third consecutive year
• Forbes 2020 America’s Best Employers for Women for second consecutive year
• S&P 500
• Barron’s 500
• Member of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index
• Included in the FTSE4Good, Calvert, and Ocean Tomo sustainability indices
• Listed in the most recent Newsweek Green Rankings
• Consistently named one of the best places to work in U.S. business journal rankings
• Named a DiversityInc Noteworthy Company for third consecutive year
• Listed on the Disability Equality Index (DEI), a joint initiative of the American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD) and the US Business Leadership Network (USBLN), recognizing companies for prioritizing the inclusion of people with disabilities
• Named Top 23 ‘Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality’ in New Jersey
• Named a Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality by scoring a perfect 100 on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s 2021 Corporate Equality Index (CEI) for the fifth consecutive year.
• Achieved Cancer Gold Standard accreditation from the CEO Roundtable on Cancer, recognizing our actions to reduce the cancer risk of employees and their families
• Received C. Everett Koop National Health Award for Efforts to Promote Employee Health in 2020
Diagnostic Testing Services
Quest Diagnostics is the world’s leading provider of diagnostic testing, information and services that patients and doctors need to make better healthcare decisions. Their services range from routine blood tests — such as total cholesterol, Pap testing and white blood cell count — to complex, gene-based and molecular testing. They perform medical tests that aid in the diagnosis or detection of diseases, measure the progress or recovery from a disease or confirm that an individual is free from disease. In addition, they have specialized expertise in cancer, cardiovascular diseases, infectious diseases, and neurology.
About COVID-19 testing at Quest Diagnostics
Quest Diagnostics is at the forefront of the response to the COVID-19 pandemic, working to broaden access to laboratory insights to help us all lead healthier lives. We provide both molecular diagnostic and antibody serology tests to aid in the diagnosis of COVID-19 and immune response. Our COVID-19 test services are based on tests that have received FDA emergency use authorization and which also meet our high standards for quality. We are providing these test services under the Public Readiness and Emergency Preparedness Act.
We provide data on COVID-19 testing to various federal and state public health authorities, including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and participate in studies with government and private institutions, aiding COVID-19 public health response and research. Through our team of dedicated phlebotomists, air fleet team, couriers and laboratory professionals, Quest Diagnostics works hard every day to help patients and communities across the United States access quality COVID-19 testing.
In the $60 Billion and growing US Diagnostic Testing Market, Quest Diagnostics is the leader. Quest Diagnostics’ reputation as a leading innovator, provider of high value, low cost solutions and its financial strength and flexibility make it well positioned to capitalize on the evolving healthcare landscape.
Quest Diagnostics’ long-term strategy is to become the undisputed world leader in diagnostic testing, information and services. To drive this profitable growth, Quest Diagnostics plans to leverage capabilities to create differentiation:
• Deliver Innovative Solutions
• Leverage their Unparalleled Access and Distribution Network
• Expand their relationships with large payors and health systems
• Deliver Superior Patient Experiences
Please Log In or Register to Upload a Resume and complete the online Application by visiting careers.questdiagnostics.com, clicking “Job Search” and following the prompts. Because of the large number of applicants to job openings, Quest Diagnostics will only contact qualified candidates for interviews.
Quest Diagnostics is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.