|Published||August 5, 2022|
The purpose of the COVID Vaccine Data Team within the COVID-19 California Department of Public Health (CDPH) response is to maintain and provide vaccine surveillance and epidemiologic data for COVID-19 reporting in the state of California. This team works to meet the demands for timely and highly visible surveillance data used by groups at CDPH as well as the California Health and Human Services Agency and the Governors Office to track and respond to the COVID-19 pandemic. This team is responsible for accurately reporting rates of vaccination against COVID-19 and other vaccine-related required data elements to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
The position responsibilities include the development and implementation of enhanced Covid-19 vaccination analyses, facilitation of electronic collection transfer of data related to vaccinations for COVID-19, and synthesis and coordination of communicating these data to public health partners across multiple data environments. This position requires strong programming and/or informatics knowledge to support the development of these efforts.
If selected for an interview, candidates will be expected to share excerpts of code to demonstrate proficiency in R, SAS, or SQL. The position will interact and collaborate with several multidisciplinary CDPH teams as well as other internal and external partners as they contribute to the CDPH COVID-19 pandemic response.
If hired for this position, applicant will be required to provide proof of full vaccination for COVID-19 prior to the start date; or have a valid religious or medical reason qualifying the applicant for an exemption (that may or may not require accommodation).
- Design workflows and processes for automating data management and quality assurance across multiple data environments.
- Collaborate with CDPH COVID19 response teams including surveillance/epidemiology, outbreak investigations, contact tracing, policy makers, information technology, and leadership to enhance and/or obtain systems for storing, analyzing, reporting, and sharing COVID19-related data.
- Develop and implement procedures to ensure data integrity, security, and confidentiality of public health data. Understand industry best practices, stakeholder needs, and future directions to ensure CDPH remains in compliance.
- Lead and manage the development of datasets, data visualizations, dashboard, data access, and reporting applications and written reports.
- Conceptualize, coordinate, and produce internal reports and public-facing materials (e.g. tables and visualizations) that describe/interpret epidemiologic analysis that influence COVID-19 control and prevention policy.
- Provide data support as directed to any of the states Vaccine Task Force workstreams.
- Participate in conference calls with key stakeholders at CDPH, local health jurisdictions (LHJs), CDC, and academic partners.
- Perform other duties as directed by CDPH Leadership.
- Collaborate effectively with team members.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned.
- Strong programming and informatics skills (R, SAS, and/or SQL programming language).
- Knowledge of fundamentals and principles of epidemiology, biostatistics, and public health.
- High level analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing with public health and healthcare professionals as well as internal partners.
- Knowledge and application of security and confidentiality requirements for reportable disease/public health surveillance data and protection of public health information.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and work well independently and with a team.
- Demonstrate reliability, integrity and attention to detail.
- Fluency in spoken and written English is required.
- Bachelors degree in public health, informatics, computer science or related field, required; masters preferred.
- Expertise in a programming language such as R, SAS, or SQL, or similar language, required.
- Two years of experience in a public health department and/or infectious disease surveillance, preferred.
- Two years of experience in data management, informatics, data science, preferred.
- Experience creating data visualization using R or Tableau, preferred.
- Stand: Frequently
- Walk: Frequently
- Sit: Frequently
- Handling / Fingering: Occasionally
- Reach Outward: Occasionally
- Reach Above Shoulder: Occasionally
- Climb, Crawl, Kneel, Bend: Occasionally
- Lift / Carry: Occasionally - Up to 50 lbs
- Push/Pull: Occasionally - Up to 50 lbs
- See: Constantly
- Taste/ Smell: Not Applicable
- Not Applicable Not required for essential functions
- Occasionally (0 - 2 hrs/day)
- Frequently (2 - 5 hrs/day)
- Constantly (5+ hrs/day)
Remote work location. Must have functioning Wi-Fi/internet access at remote location.
It is the policy of Heluna Health to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Heluna Health is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer that encourages minorities, women, veterans, and disabled to apply.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractors legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)