|Date Posted||July 28, 2021|
Job Requisition Number
Building Services - Plumbing
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent, plus five (5) years of experience in the installation, maintenance, and repair of plumbing fixtures and systems including gas, water, and steam systems, including one (1) year of experience in a lead or supervisory capacity.
Licenses or Certifications:
- State of Texas Master’s Plumbing License.
- Texas Class C Operator’s License or ability to acquire by date of hire.
- Ability to acquire Responsible Master Plumber (RMP) designation within 120 calendar days of hire.
- Moderate. Tasks involve bending, lifting, walking, carrying, or using a force equal to lifting up to fifty (50) pounds.
Notes to Applicants
Regarding your Application:
Please be sure to detail on the application all previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
A detailed, complete employment application is required. It helps us to better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position. Be sure to provide job titles and employment dates for all jobs you wish to be considered. Your work history should include the duties you performed, and any related computer software used. If you are selected to interview:
If you are selected as a top candidate:
Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED, undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution. A driving record verification will be conducted. Applicants for positions for which City driving is an essential function must meet the standards of the program: age 18 or older, current applicable driver’s license, proof of insurability, and no more than six (6) points assessed on Driver Record Evaluation (DRE) based on Department of Public Safety (DPS) Driver Record Report. This position falls under the COA safe driver program requirements.
Your skill level in some of the competency areas for this job will be assessed through skills testing for proficiency in Plumbing.
This position must travel between various locations as part of the regular job duties and individual will be required to drive a City of Austin vehicle.
This position requires a Texas Driver License in good standing or the ability to acquire one by your hire date. External New Hires must meet the City of Austin’s Driver Record Evaluation (DRE) requisite. To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannot have more than three moving violations or a total of six Driver Record Evaluation points within a period of thirty-six (36) months.
Military / Veteran Interview Preference:
Military/Veterans must provide a copy of their DD214 verifying honorable discharge, at the time of initial interview to receive military/veteran interview preference.
Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Classification:
This position is classified as NON-EXEMPT.
This position is an essential position. This means that the Top Candidate who, by virtue of their presence, specialized function or necessary skills, are essential to meeting the business or certain operational needs and are therefore required to report to duty. The Chief Plumber position with the Building Services Department is considered an essential employee during the COVID-19 pandemic event and as such is required to continue to report to their normal work location and perform the essentials functions of their position during the COVID-19 pandemic event.
Please note that the Department may close the job posting at any time after seven (7) days.
$23.98 – $30.57
Monday through Friday, 7:15 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Some evening, weekend and holiday work may be required.
Rotational on call and call back as required by the position.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting
Grant Funded or Pooled Position
411 Chicon St., Austin, TX, 78702
- Residential and commercial service plumbing experience.
- Experience providing leadership, work assignments and advanced technical support and guidance to plumbing personnel.
- Experience obtaining permits and requesting inspections as required by applicable building codes.
- Experience performing quality assurance on Scope of Work (SOW) completed by sub-contractors.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Plans and directs plumbing personnel in the completion of assigned work orders and projects including the installation and repair of plumbing fixtures, water leaks, gas leaks and sewer lines.
- Maintain Responsible Master Plumber (RMP) designation to allow plumbing personnel to secure plumbing permits required to install fixtures and equipment in City owned facilities and coordinate inspections.
- Performs complex plumbing installations and repairs and provides assistance and technical expertise to plumbing personnel, vendors and contractors on complex work assignments and projects.
- Performs inspections to ensure compliance with local plumbing codes and City quality standards.
- Records Fire Hydrant and Backflow testing data onto Austin Water WIERS site.
- Operates pressure test equipment to test installed systems for leaks, ensuring that system meets specifications.
- Delegates work assignments among personnel, collaborating on daily production priorities to maintain efficient operations.
- Interprets blueprints and construction plans in conjunction with water, gas and sewage lines. Coordinates sequence of installations.
- Implements inventory control procedures to maintain appropriate supply of frequently used parts to allow adequate lead time for ordering materials.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
Provide leadership, work assignments, evaluation, and guidance to others.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of water heating system installation, maintenance and repair methods, tools, and materials.
- Knowledge of construction procedures sufficient to plan and execute plumbing projects.
- Knowledge of water and waste water pumps and lift stations.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Skill in planning an organizing.
- Ability to trace and analyze causes of plumbing and heating problems.
- Ability to read and understand blueprints.
- Ability to estimate time, materials, and costs of plumbing projects.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other city employees and the public.
Criminal Background Investigation
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
The minimum qualifications for the position of Chief Plumber are graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent, plus five (5) years of experience in the installation, maintenance, and repair of plumbing fixtures and systems including gas, water, and steam systems, including one (1) year of experience in a lead or supervisory capacity. The position requires a State of Texas Master’s Plumbing License and a Texas Class C Operator’s License or the ability to acquire by date of hire. The position requires the top candidate have the ability to acquire a Responsible Master Plumber (RMP) designation within 120 calendar days of hire.
Do you meet these minimum qualifications?
Please describe how you meet the minimum qualifications referenced above. Detail how you meet the educational requirements (if applicable), account for the years of related experience (if applicable), and explain any substitutions of experience for education, or vice-versa (if applicable).
(Open Ended Question)
Do you currently hold a State of Texas Master Plumber's License?
This position requires a Texas Driver’s License in good standing. Do you have a Texas Driver’s License in good standing or if selected for this position, do you have the ability to acquire a Texas Driver’s License in good standing by your hire date?
If selected as a top candidate, do you agree to a criminal background investigation?
The physical requirements of this position are moderate, with tasks involving bending, lifting, walking, carrying, or using a force equal to lifting up to fifty (50) pounds. Do you meet the physical requirements of this position?
Do you possess a current Responsible Master Plumber (RMP) designation or are you able to acquire a Responsible Master Plumber (RMP) designation within 120 calendar days of hire.
- Yes - Current Responsible Master Plumber
- Yes - Able to acquire within 120 calendar days of hire
Please describe your residential and commercial service plumbing experience.
(Open Ended Question)
Do you have experience providing leadership, work assignments and advanced technical support and guidance to plumbing personnel?
How many years of experience do you have obtaining plumbing permits and requesting plumbing inspections?
- No Experience
- Less than 1 Year
- Between 1 - 2 Years
- Between 2 - 4 Years
- Between 4 - 6 Years
- More than 6 Years
Do you have experience with quality assurance on Scope of Work (SOW) completed by plumbing contractors and if so, how many years of experience?
- No Experience
- Less than 1 year
- Between 1 - 2 years
- Between 2 - 5 years
- More than 5 years
The shift/hours that the successful candidate will work is Monday through Friday, 7:15 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., and participate in a rotational on-call schedule which may require employee schedules to extend beyond regular business hours to include evening weekend and holiday work. Are you able to comply with this need?
This position is considered essential. An essential employee is an employee who, by virtue of their presence, specialized function or necessary skills, are essential to meeting the business or certain operational needs and are therefore required to report to duty. This position with the Building Services Department is considered an essential employee during the COVID-19 pandemic event and as such is required to continue to report to their normal work location and perform the essentials functions of their position during the COVID-19 pandemic event. Do you have the availability to report to duty during the COVID-19 pandemic event?
The City of Austin Driver Eligibility Standards require that External New Hires meet the City’s Driver Record Evaluation (DRE) requisite. To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannot have more than three moving violations or a total of six Driver Record Evaluation points within a period of thirty-six (36) months. Do you meet this requirement?
Optional & Required Documents